Friday 28 March 2008

Day 4 - Temperatures rising.

My temperature had started to rise and I had the chills. The fever had started but I wasn't prepared for the horrendous headache tha comes along with it. I had breakfast and went back to my room where I stayed all day. I have never experienced a headache like this one before and I will have to through it all again on Friday. I have had a migraine all day long. I sympethise with any one who gets one. I had another Mistletoe treatment today although the headache is going now. I had art therapy this afternoon and did another picture. This time I had to put myself in the centre and the illness on the outside. I painted myself as the light at the centre and the illness is the poited purple chards on the outside. At first I saw it as an attack but when I really looked into it it became the attacked. I felt the bright light had exploded through the illness and chards of it were flying outwards.

I am so amazed how this has helped me. I am hoping to carry on with this when I come back.

BALDUR


This is the sculpture in Park Attwood garden. The inscription reads


"The Mistletoe Struck Baldur and it killed him"


This inspired me to look into who Baldur was and why he was struck.


I have found out that The Aesir are a legendary tribe of Norse gods who's mother goddess, Frigga, had a son.
His name was Baldur, child of the light and sun, who she adored.
The Norse people, being farther north, truly honored the Sun because it meant protection from the freezing winter ice.
A prediction forsaw that Baldur's death would be a sign that the world would end. Frigga went to every creature and object such as Wood, Stone and water and made them all promise not to harm her son. But she forgot about the Mistletoe plant as she felt it was harmless. They all said they would not hram her precious Baldur that was until the God Loki disguised himself and tricked Frigga into revealing this to him.
Loki then fooled Baldur's brother,Hodur, who was the old, blind God of Winter. All the gods at this point were testing Frigga's magic by throwing the objects at Baldur but nothing hurt him. Loki placed a dart of Mistletoe in Hodur's hand and encouraged the blind man to try as he had not taken part due to his disability. Loki Guided Hodur's arm and aimed it at Baldur who was struck down by the Mistletoe.
The other Gods couldn't revive Baldur and Frigga was devastated as any mother would be.
Baldur's death signaled the end and it is said that Frigga ordered that Mistletoe, a poisonous herb, should never be used for harm again and should only be used for love and healing. Hence the tradition of kissing under the mistletoe at Christmas.


The death of Baldur also depicts the end of Summer and the start of winter. This is such a beautiful tale that I had to include as it felt so fitting to what is with Mistletoe and my cancer.